Welcome! Open source projects provide you with the means and mechanism to address inadequacies and improve a project. As a member of an open source community you are empowered to correct any deficiency in a project. If you identify a deficiency, the onus is on you to address it by making recommendations, writing up the issue(s) in Jira, creating a software fix, or correcting an error in the documentation.
Open source allow us to:
- Engage communities whose needs are not met by commercial-off-the-self (COTS) solutions.
- Create innovative solutions leveraging state-of-the-art open source infrastructures and standards.
- Share the cost of development across multiple communities so no one community is burdened with the entire cost of development.
- Design solutions that are extensible and can evolve with a communities needs through open architectures and clearly defined data driven interfaces.
- Make these solutions available to the masses through the University of Illinois / NCSA Open Source License