Requirements Gathering (Questions posed to PIs)
- Who is our primary user?
- Researchers? Plant biologists? Farmers?
- Is this user tech-savvy?
- Which is the goal of the interface? What do we want the interface to enable the end-user to do?
- Present details about all stages/models of plant simulation?
- Guide the user through composition and parameter entry?
- Enter a parameter set and display output visualization(s)?
- Execute some composition of models?
- Does the end software need to be an installable executable?
- I had heard somewhere down the line that this was a hard requirement
- Would Docker images be suitable as the downloadable executables/deliverables?
- I would advise against forcing users to install anything, where possible / within reason
- This may deter non-tech-savvy users from using the platform
- Not to mention that code for specific platforms is difficult to keep tested and maintained
Implementation Details (Questions posed to Developers / Maintainers)
- Strategy question: broad coverage or deep dives?
- Do we focus on a single model and fully realize it before moving onto the next one?
- How many models are ready for integration? How do we even define "ready"?
- Or do we try to cover all models with basic functionality before fleshing each out further?
- How will we serve the models / parameters to the frontend?
- Meagan has already begun populating a database (MongoDB?) with known properties of each model
Live Prototype: http://www.mldev.ndslabs.org:8085/
UI Design Mockups
With JSON / YAML data displayed (this is very optional):