Creating Services and Containers
- Create a new project in geostreams. Instructions are here.
Configure the docker-compose file for the services that need to be added. The docker-compose file linked below The docker-compose file for this project is based on the Default Geostreams file and traefik v2. This way minimal configuration is required on the machine.
The following .env file sets up the routes:
- For geostreams, use the example application.conf https://github.com/geostreams/geostreams/blob/master/conf/reference.conf .
- If using clowder, follow the link to initialize clowder https://github.com/clowder-framework/clowder#initializing-clowder.
Setting up the VM
Create a VM
- Install python-openstackclient
Create an rc file using the example below used for gltg nebula
- Run `bash --rcfile <rc_file_name>` to create a virtual environment
- Download and run the makevm-script (updated version in the comments) to create the vm.
- Use one of the available Floating IP Addresses on Nebula and provide it to the script.
- Email email@example.com to setup domain name for machine.
- The docker-compose file is setup to use Lets Encrypt for SSL certificate generation and renewal.
- Install docker and docker-compose on the machine. Additionally, install pass and gnupg2 without which logging into docker will give an error.
- Login to hub.ncsa.illinois.edu using the robot account login. The account information is stored in lastpass folder.
Set up Backup
- Move the docker-compose file and other relevant files to the machine.
- Run docker-compose up -d.
- Initialize the database by running the geostreams container with command `initialize` once.
Configuring Build and Deployment Pipeline for Project
Add the following Github Actions public key to the machine.
`cat PATH_TO_KEY | ssh -i PATH_TO_ID_KEY user@hostname "cat >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys"`
Update github deployment action and add the details for the new project under strategy->matrix.
- For development machines, an image with a develop tag will be created in hub.ncsa.illinois.edu and for production machines the latest tag will be used. The docker-compose files should be updated accordingly.